Friday 7 November 2014

A Hummingbird Hawkmoth in North Yorkshire!

Day 6

Hi all, today is Day 6, and I have the most amazing thing I have posted yet. It's from earlier this year as I haven't had much chance to get out because of the weather.

I was reading about this in the latest edition of Nature's Home and it's a rare sighting in the UK but even more so in the North of England as they mainly visit the south coast. As you can see from the picture below it is a Hummingbird Hawkmoth.

Hummingbird Hawkmoth (Macroglossum Stellatarum) feeding on Red Valerian (Centranthus ruber)
I found two great webpages with information about this fab lil beastie:

I think this is a great sight skipping between the flowers and it really does make a hum. It's one my Dad's and mine favourite garden visitors.

Hope you have a great weekend everyone, and thank you all so much for all the awesome support I've been getting for my blog. :-)

Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment